Frequently Asked Questions​

Let us know if you have specific questions

Many international job seekers contact us by email if they would like to know something

The questions below are asked often

What type of taxes will I pay in the netherlands?

All residents in The Netherlands are required to pay income tax. In The Netherlands you receive a gross and net salary. The employer withholds the income tax and social insurance from your wage. In addition to this tax, your personal financial situation, such as income from investments, determines whether you must pay other taxes such as a wealth tax. The exact amount of taxes depends on your personal situation.

For an exact calculation, you can contact the tax authorities by telephone (0800-0543) and/or visit the website of the tax authorities (

Can I apply for the 30% rule?

When you come to work in The Netherlands, you incur additional costs. The employer may give you a free (tax-free) reimbursement for the extra costs that you incur. On the website of the tax authorities, you can find the conditions and the criteria to determine if you are eligible for this 30% ruling. (

I read that a health insurance is mandatory. What are my costs for a health insurance?
Health insurance consists of 2 parts:

Compulsory basic insurance
Voluntary supplementary and/or dental insurance Additionally:
A compulsory deductible of at least € 385,00

The deductible applies if you:
– must go to the hospital
– receive medication
– have blood tests

You can take a look at the website of ‘zorgwijzer’ ( where a comparison of Dutch health insurances is possible.

What is a DigiD?

A DigiD is a code that allows you to log into government websites and healthcare service providers. With a DigiD you can file your tax return, apply for a housing allowance or make an appointment at the hospital.

What happens if I get sick?

If you work in The Netherlands and become ill or become unfit for work, your employer must continue to pay your wage/salary. The continued payment is usually 70% of the wage. The employer may not dismiss you if you are sick, except: – in the probationary period – after being ill for 2 years – you have been dismissed from your employment

Where can I find written agreements about the labour conditions?

A collective labor agreement is an agreement between employers and workers about employment conditions. The collective labor agreement consists of a collection of agreements that apply to all employees within a certain company or within a certain industry. When you decide to work with us. we can find out which collective labor agreement applies to the company or industry and where you are employed.

Some important things you should know


Houses in The Netherlands are becoming increasingly expensive

The housing market picked up in the big cities a few years ago, but now rapid price growth is a national phenomenon. ITcareersholland is able to make an accurate estimation of your total costs of living.


Legal advice

When you need legal advice, there are various alternatives in The Netherlands.


Dutch/English Language course

Upon arrival in The Netherlands, you have the opportunity to learn the Dutch language.

– (free of charges)
– (free of charges)
– (free of charges)

With a language volunteer
You can engage a voluntary language coach via

Via the employer
It is important for you/your employer that you speak the Dutch language well. The employer has possibilities for a subsidy to help employees to learn the language.


International events

To visit intercultural events together with others it is nice to have an overview of all upcoming events in 2020. If you click on International events, you will find more information about social occasions and cultural events in the Netherlands.

An international work experience is something you never forget in your life

Our advise is to prepare yourself in a professional way for all the differences on your path.